Sassy Lingonberry Pattern


                                                 

REASONS WHY I STOPPED SELLING THIS PATTERN ON ETSY:

REASON NUMBER 1:  

I had always been puzzled as to how people from other countries had discovered my pattern on a US website? 

In February 2022, I discovered that, without my knowledge, Etsy was marketing my pattern worldwide.  My listing was being translated to the appropriate language of that country, so the customers would have a reasonable expectation of downloading a pattern in their own language.  They would soon discover that my pattern was in English.  They would be disappointed and they would ask me to translate, which I'm unable to do, for reasons explained below.  The customers would be polite, and I would refund their money.

Upon further research, I discovered that since this was a "downloadable" pattern, that I had no ability to opt out of Etsy's worldwide marketing scheme.

To be more clear:  Etsy was selling my pattern worldwide, and charging me a fee for every sale.  I would have to refund the money to those customers who did not speak English, which would cost me an additional fee.  I found this to be an unacceptable situation, both for my customers, and for myself.

Also, it's really not as simple as just translating the language, as the pattern would need to be converted to metric, and to the crochet terminology of each specific country.  The pattern would also need to reflect the materials commonly available in each country.

For instance, would the tomato cages be cone-shaped in France?  Would cable ties be available in Yugoslavia?  I have no ability to know these things.

💓 If a designer outside of the United States wishes to translate my patterns, and make the necessary conversions, I give that designer my blessing.  Let the Sassy Gnomes spread worldwide!!  💓

REASON NUMBER 2:  

Due to supply chain issues during the pandemic, the manufacturer stopped selling this specific planter in a lovely shade of "Cadmium Green".

The discontinuation of the Cadmium Green planter was problematic, as there was a clear seasonal uptick in my sales around the end of each year.  It became clear to me that my customers were purchasing my pattern in the hopes of making Christmas decor, and since this green planter had been discontinued, they would be unable to recreate the specific Gnome shown in the pattern.

When this was brought to my attention, I removed the pattern from my Etsy store with the intent of updating the pattern to reflect currently available color choices.  

But, after I discovered the issues with Etsy marketing my pattern worldwide, I decided that I would leave the pattern as is, with a disclaimer that the colors are no longer available, and that I would offer the pattern for free.

👉SHORT VERSION: This specific green planter has been discontinued, but you can use any color of planter as long as it's the correct size, and any color of worsted weight yarn for the Gnome hat.👈

All of my Gnome patterns can be found in the link below.  Note that I have included an updated pattern for the hat that fits "SassyLingonberry Large".

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1X-lG2mp2JODpb2wAJmmO5SAFqlGi_Ms3?usp=sharing

Sample images:

 




Comments